Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Train, Horses, Field Hand

 This 1928-29 issue #157 shows a farmer harvesting wheat the old fashion way with horses. In the background it appears there is a passenger train cutting thru the field. It reminds me of a farmer that lived about a mile from me while I was a teen. He and his brother used a two horse team to work a small farm which sloped up a gentle hill along the highway. The land is all commercialized now with stores,banks,gas stations and restaurants. I'd guess the man and his brother were at least in their 70's and was amazed that one could farm in such a way in the modern age.  I'm disappointed by the heavy cancellation, in fact upon closer examination it actually looks like multiple cancellations. Beggars can't be choosers though and if this were pristine the value would have made it unattainable for me to have.





JimmyB

No comments: