Thursday, October 17, 2013

1924 Huguenot-Walloon Tercentary Issue

 Now if I were a squirrel, I would have never survived my first winter away from the nest.
 This set I found in a box along with other stuff today in an old glassine envelope with my handwriting on it, yet no recollection of having seen most of what was in the box. This morning has been frustrating for me as I found several boxes of items I had no clue that I had stashed away.
 This is a 300th anniversary issued to commemorate the arrival of the Hueguenots and Walloons who were some type of Calvinistic Protestants I believe probably in danger of being killed(I'm not certain all of the Hueguenots were Walloons which were a French speaking people.) deciding to settle in America. A monument was given to the city of New York in Battery Park honoring Jesse de Forest who founded New York and had come to America hoping to found New Belgium a new colony.








JimmyB


No comments: