Friday, October 18, 2013

Anarchist Target

 King Umberto I, besides having another gigantic mustache of which seems to be a potential topical stamp category, was implicated in the assassination of the U.S. President William McKinley. Apparently, if Umberto had not gotten himself whacked by the Italo-American anarchist Gaetano Bresci, McKinley's assassin, American anarchist Leon Czolgosz, would have never been inspired to kill McKinley! Even more personal to me, I went to a jr.high school actually named after McKinley and without his death, my school's name may have been something completely different!! This only goes to show how important it is to avoid growing gigantic mustaches.
 This is Italy number 54 in my stamp book and has a faint 1889 penciled in on the backside, the same year that Thomas Edison showed his first motion picture. Were motion pictures really around that far back? Actually they were around earlier than that!
  




JimmyB

No comments: