Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Wedding Anniversary

 I've never really made any finds with Japan. Tonight's a winner for me. I came across several older Japan's that are a bit over minimum value in my book. I'm going to have to stretch out these few finds over the next couple days however as I don't want to kill all my joy in one post.
 This is the 1894 2 Sen carmine colored stamp #85 in my Scott - 25th Anniversary of Emperor Meiji and Empress Haru's wedding. Meiji's Wiki page gives no mention of the Empress other than pointing her out in a family portrait along with his children which are all born from concubines. Quite a few concubines I might add all with the title Lady.
 I'm pretty certain this is a mint stamp even though there is slight discoloring in the lower left bottom. Remnant of gum remain scattered across the back in spots. Unfortunately #86  which is a blue 5 Sen almost identical was not alongside it in the album.
 At first I was excited thinking I had a pair of dragons on each side here, but it turns out that they are rather ornate cranes.





JimmyB

No comments: