Sunday, June 16, 2013

Edited.....Big stick and a general I've never heard of


 First day issue on the anniversary of opening the Panama Canal. Postmarked on the U.S.S. Charleston. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Charleston_(PG-51) . I'm curious as to how many days it took the postal crew on the ship to hand stamp all of the FDC's? The general I've never heard of?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Goethals.

  


JimmyB

P.S.  This morning I came across a FDC guide and found this. Single $20 #856   Not a bad value. I ran across an envelope box of covers like this. I'm gonna have to go through this Stuff.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I see the Panama canal stamp is listed at $20 Is that what you paid? Don't know if I ever told you but Grandpa Beranis went thru the Panama canal on the S,S, Trenton on his 16th birthday 3/3/26 Yes he enlisted when he was 15

Unknown said...

Wikipedia mentions quickly Dad the period of time your referring to for the Trenton. "In January 1926, Trenton joined the other units of the Scouting Fleet and returned to Guantanamo for gunnery drills and tactical exercises. On 1 February, she departed Cuba with them, bound for Panama. For the next six weeks, she participated in combined maneuvers with units of both Battle Fleet and Scouting Fleet. In mid-March, the units of the Scouting Fleet returned to their home yards for repairs before leaving for summer training cruises with naval reservists and tactical exercises in the area around Narragansett Bay. In mid-September, she returned to Guantanamo Bay for winter maneuvers." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Trenton_(CL-11)

Unknown said...

It was in a box with other stuff I bought thru an auction by the way. A few thousand stamps and hundreds of covers and such.

Unknown said...

Thanks for info on grandpa. He also told me that they were in San Francisco bay in 1927 and Charles Lindberg flew under bridge in Spirit of st Louis and tipped his wing to the crew