Thursday, August 01, 2013

Brown vs Education

 Last night my Uncle posted a comment on my FB wall last night telling me he enjoyed our communication through FB even though our views differed at times but said that my stamp posts were "boring" for him even though he knew that I found stamps interesting. He's actually going to change his privacy settings so as not to see my stamp posts. I could have posted some FDR stamps that may have been to his liking today but instead I've chosen "Education" as a topical. Not only because he worked in the education field before retirement, but because he loves anything political, I chose this stamp. I can think of no stamp that covers both of his main interests better than this one remembering the 1954 Brown vs Board of Education. It won't get better than this for him. The stamp may be boring in itself to him, but it's certain to stir thoughts in his head.
 This was released on a sheet of 10 different stamps subtitled "Seeking Equal Rights For African Americans".
I wasn't born for another 8 years, but to this day the landmark decision stands as one of the last big equal rights cases fought and won. Same sex marriage is another equal rights cause that has yet to be worked out. The U.S. has come a long way as far as equality, from abolishing slavery to giving women the right to work. It's still got a long way to go however.





JimmyB

No comments: