Friday, September 20, 2013

Fortuity Yet Again

 It's kind of creepy for me how events in my life simply by chance randomly tie together. A perfect example is this short story.
 A gal at work brought in a binder of numerous philatelic items to show me after I loaned her a Scott's book on F.D.C.'s. Pressed for time in the break room I had to quickly look through and actually spotted a few items that were of interest to me. Anyways, I passed a home made album page of Transvaal and she asked me where it was. Transvaal is one of those stamps I check out when I'm sorting through a mixture that I've looked up and then quickly moved on sorting. It's somewhere in my head, but I haven't filed it so I said that I think it's in Africa(actually it was in South Africa). Perhaps my brain works in a way that it is cluttered, but yet somehow semi-organized. Today I come home and immediately set to making a blog post because yesterday was a day in hell for me. GTA V came out Tuesday and times been precious, no time to show a stamp to anyone yesterday. Anyways, I begin looking for something to share and choose this. Two King George V's from the Bechuanaland Protectorate. Searching for something to remark on these two stamps I do some sleuthing and come across a wiki article mentioning that in 1910 a 6 pence stamp of Transvaal was overprinted for the Bechuanaland Protectorate. I definitely need now to ask her about which Transvaal stamps she has(she had a lot of stuff to look at in 15 minutes I stretched beyond that as much as I dared). It'd be so cool if it turned out to be a 1910 6 pence. Maybe I'll start buying lottery tickets once again.
 King George V rocks and he's on my top 2 list of stamps. I need to share more of what I've got of these in my collection.
 These are issued on Dec 12, 1932.  The first two lower denominations #'s 105 and 106 out of a set of 12 stamps in my catalogue, engraved, watermarked and good looking with a 12.5 perforation.







JimmyB

No comments: