Monday, January 30, 2006

Pikes Peak



I was hoping, hoping I say, to get a set of the new postal cards featuring Benjamin Franklin today, when I went to the post office. Instead, I picked up this new postal card with the Pikes Peak stamp featured.
Postal card rates were increased by 1 cent to 24 cents on Jan 8th this year.
My local office doesn't always have all the available postal items. Hopefully the Franklin cards will come in sometime soon.
I also picked up a couple sheets of stamps, one featuring a slalom skier for the winter olympics and another with Hatie Mcdaniel in the Black Heritage series. Those I'll show on an upcoming blog.
Pikes Peak was named after Zebulon Pike who led an exploration party in southern Colorado in 1806. This was the same time that the Corps of Discovery led by Lewis and Clark were seeking a passage to the Pacific further to the north.
Pikes peak is By no means the tallest mountain in Colorado, It's fame is due to the fact that it is far to the east in the mountain range and can easily be discerned from as far away as the great plains.

JimmyB

No comments: