Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I Thought He Made Cigars

  I always thought that Simon Bolivar, who's real name is Simon Jose Antonio de la Santisima Trinidad Bolivar y Palacios Ponte y Blanco(another long ass name), was a cigar maker. After all, one of the best cigars bears his image. Then again Cleopatra also has a cigar bearing her image, so I guess I should have known. Geesh, even the currency is named after him! This is a 1 Bolivar stamp.
  He was President of Gran Columbia which he participated in the founding of (the first union of independent nations in Hispanic-America, a Republic) from 1819-1830, President of Bolivia for only 4 months(Aug-Dec, 1825) and President of Peru(yes, President of two countries at once along with being President of the Republic) from 1824-1827. I guess he does deserve a cigar, even though his honor is clouded(yet this is forgotten) by the atrocities in his Decree of War to the Death.
 This is Venezuela  #255 in my book issued 1911, Litho. Perf. 11.5 by 12.




JimmyB

No comments: