Monday, January 16, 2006

Swastika


I was a bit baffled when I noticed swastika's in the corners of this air mail stamp from Newfoundland. Just off the NE coast of North America, I thought to myself "no way". I checked the year of issue which turned out to be 1931, then I thought "hmmm to early".
It turns out that the Nazi's have really stigmatized this symbol. The first and only thing I think of is Nazi Germany when I see it.
The word swastika is derived from the Sanskrit word (think India) svastica स्वस्तिक meaning any lucky or auspicious item. Buddhism and Hinduism and another religion I've never heard of , Jainism consider this a sacred symbol. A good one at that!! I saw an image of a temple with the swastika symbol above the entrance of the building. Carl Sagan in his book "The Comet" suggests that if a comet were to get very close to us, jets of gas could be seen in this configuration(roughly) and that maybe this lead to a global use of this symbol. North American tribes also have this symbol as did ancient Celts, Greeks,European and African cultures.
It is a pretty catchy symbol, it's a shame that it was adulterated by the Nazi's. It'll not be cleansed from it's stigma for centuries I imagine, if even that.
Real nice stamp though, still. It catalogues at $50 in the Scott catalogue.
Stamps sure can get my mind working while I'm looking at them. I don't just collect stamps to collect them.

No comments: